NBA All-Superstar Weekend is without doubt one of the highlights of the league time table yearly. This season, the most efficient of the NBA come to Cleveland for festivities celebrating the whole lot nice in regards to the game, capped via the All-Superstar Recreation on Sunday evening. But when the sport itself stays the crown jewel of the weekend, the occasions on All-Superstar Saturday nonetheless have the possible to thieve the display.
The dunk contest stays a polarizing tournament, however at its absolute best it may be an exhilarating exhibit of athleticism and creativity. Whilst this yr’s contest nonetheless lacks large names, nevertheless it does characteristic two explosive younger guards who be able to give us one thing we’ve by no means observed earlier than. The 3-point contest does characteristic a number of All-Stars with Trae Younger, Karl-Anthony Cities, Zach LaVine, and Fred VanVleet slated to be within the box. There’s additionally a brand new structure for the talents problem, which is able to characteristic a definite two-time MVP and his two brothers competing in opposition to newbies and participants of the Cavs.
The dunk contest and three-point contest will happen on Saturday, Feb. 19 in Cleveland. The All-Superstar Recreation itself occurs sooner or later in a while Feb. 20.
Earlier than the festivities get underway, let’s cross over the All-Superstar Saturday occasions and provides some predictions on what we predict to occur.
2022 NBA dunk contest predictions, preview, and time
All-Superstar Saturday kicks off at 8 p.m. ET on TNT. The dunk contest would be the 3rd and ultimate tournament of the evening. Right here’s a have a look at who’s competing:
- Jalen Inexperienced, G, Houston Rockets: The No. 2 general select in the newest NBA draft, Inexperienced is a 6’5 guard with ridiculous hops who may placed on a display. As a highschool superstar out of Fresno, CA, Inexperienced regularly drew comparisons to Kobe Bryant for his jump across the rim. Whilst he’s had slightly of an underwhelming rookie season for a rebuilding Rockets group, the dunk contest provides the kind of platform that may elevate his profile across the league. Don’t sleep on Inexperienced’s talent to takeover this contest:
- Cole Anthony, G, Orlando Magic: The son of Greg Anthony, Cole was once an elite highschool recruit out of New York who had an underwhelming freshman season at North Carolina. After slipping to the No. 15 select within the 2020 draft, Anthony has loved a breakout 2nd season within the NBA, averaging 17.7 issues and just about six assists in keeping with sport. Anthony is handiest about 6’2, which is able to make his dunks glance cooler. He’s put down some large ones prior to now:
- Obi Toppin, F, Knicks: Toppin is a former lottery select taking part in a pleasing 2nd season within the league with the Knicks. The 6’9 large guy confirmed off his athleticism on this tournament final yr. Whilst Toppin didn’t win, it seems like he’s under-the-legs dunk from close to the foul line would had been the most efficient of the evening if he took off one step again. What’s going to he have in retailer for us this yr?
- Juan Toscano-Anderson, F, Warriors: JTA has transform a fan favourite with the Warriors for his continuous hustle and effort. The 6’6 ahead seems like the largest wildcard of this tournament. He lacks the pedigree of the opposite competition as an undrafted unfastened agent, however he’s confirmed he’s an explosive athlete across the rim since becoming a member of Golden State.
2022 NBA dunk contest predictions
Jalen Inexperienced has appeared destined to win an NBA dunk contest since early in his highschool years. That is his large alternative, and we expect he’s up for the problem. Inexperienced is our select to win the competition.
If he does one thing like this, it could be a wrap early:
2022 NBA three-point contest predictions, preview, and time
The 3-point contest would be the 2nd tournament of All-Superstar Saturday after the Talents Problem. Right here’s a have a look at the sphere:
- Fred VanVleet, G, Toronto Raptors: VanVleet has upped each his quantity and potency from 3 this yr, and it’s an enormous explanation why he’s a first-time All-Superstar. VanVleet is flattening 40.1 % of his threes to this point on 10.1 makes an attempt in keeping with sport. The 6-foot guard by no means turns out to get bored of gunning threes, which will have to serve him smartly on this contest.
- Desmond Bane, G, Memphis Grizzlies: Bane is making the Grizzlies appear to be geniuses for taking him with the No. 30 select within the 2020 NBA Draft. He’s hitting 42 % of his threes on just about seven makes an attempt in keeping with sport this yr. Bane’s sport isn’t on the subject of taking pictures — he’s advanced an off-the-dribble sport this yr, and he’s stout defensively — however he’s quietly changed into one of the vital league’s higher marksmen from 3.
- Luke Kennard, G, Los Angeles Clippers: The Clippers guard has been hitting from deep all yr with out Kawhi Leonard and Paul George within the lineup. Kennard is hitting 43.4 % of his threes on 6.1 makes an attempt in keeping with sport. He’ll have toughen from Duke lovers far and wide.
- CJ McCollum, G, New Orleans Pelicans: McCollum was once traded to New Orleans on the cut-off date after spending his complete profession with the Path Blazers. The 6’3 guard has been on fireplace since becoming a member of the Pelicans, and can glance to stay his scorching taking pictures going within the three-point contest.
- Patty Turbines, G, Brooklyn Nets: The long-time Spurs guard joined the Nets as a unfastened agent this season, and he’s been a vital addition to a membership that’s spent lots of the yr with out Kyrie Irving. The Aussie guard has alongside been identified for his three-point taking pictures talent, and this can be a probability to stamp his skillability from deep eternally.
- Karl-Anthony Cities, C, Minnesota Timberwolves: With apologies to Dirk Nowitzki, KAT has a powerful case as the best large guy shooter ever. Cities is hitting 41 % of his threes on six makes an attempt in keeping with sport. He’s the one heart on this contest.
- Zach LaVine, G, Chicago Bulls: LaVine made the All-Superstar group for the second one time in his profession because the scoring dynamo who has helped lead the Bulls to the highest of the Jap Convention. LaVine is coping with knee soreness and it’s conceivable he might be changed within the contest. He’s seeking to transform the primary participant to ever win each the dunk contest and three-point contest.
- Trae Younger, G, Atlanta Hawks: Younger is beginning the All-Superstar Recreation for the primary time in his profession as a result of he’s striking up online game numbers with the Hawks. Younger carries the sort of large burden for his group that we hardly ever get to look how excellent of a natural shooter he in point of fact is. This might be his second.
What are the three-point contest regulations?
Each and every competitor is allocated 70 seconds for the path. There’s a most of 27 balls to be had in 5 places across the courtroom. “Cash balls” shall be positioned on the finish of each and every rack and are price two issues. There can also be one rack stuffed with cash balls. The 3 avid gamers with the best possible rating from the outlet spherical advances to the championship spherical. From the NBA: “Like final season’s three-point contest, there can also be two Mountain Dew Zone spots additional again at the wings with one ball price 3 issues.”
2021 NBA three-point contest predictions
We’ll select CJ McCollum to win the three-point contest. Only a slump.
2022 NBA talents contest predictions, preview, and time
The talents problem would be the first tournament of All-Superstar Saturday. It includes a new structure than the only we’ve observed the previous few years with 3 groups :
- Cade Cunningham, Josh Giddey, and Scottie Barnes make up the rookie group.
- Evan Mobley, Darius Garland, and Jarrett Allen will constitute the Cavs in Cleveland.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo and his brothers Kostas and Thanasis will compete because the 3rd group.
2022 NBA talents contest regulations
There shall be 3 rounds within the talents problem adopted a championship spherical to resolve the winner. Right here’s the way it works.
• Taking pictures spherical: There shall be 5 other spots at the ground between 10-feet and 30-feet. Gamers will shoot from each and every location with their teammates rounding. Shot have other values in keeping with location. Gamers can’t shoot the similar shot two times. The winner of the primary spherical gets 100 issues towards their group rating.
- Passing spherical: Gamers could have 30 seconds to cross into 3 transferring objectives. The passes could have other values in keeping with how tough they’re. “Each and every group should make a minimum of one cross try at each and every goal, and particular person avid gamers can’t make consecutive passes on the similar goal.” The successful group will earn 100 issues against their rating.
- Relay spherical: There shall be a relay path all avid gamers from the group should whole. The path shall be timed and quickest time wins. The path contains outlet passing right into a transferring goal from the baseline, a dribbling problem via cones, a brief shot close to the basket, a three-pointer from the nook in opposition to a defender, and a complete courtroom dash to attain. The successful group will earn 200 issues to the rating.
- Ultimate spherical — half-court shot: The 2 groups with the best possible rankings will advance to the championship spherical. Groups should make a halfcourt shot as temporarily as conceivable. The primary group will set the time and the second one group should beat it. The clock could have 90 seconds max.
Talents contest prediction
We’ll take the newbies to win.